May 26, 2016:
The kick-off to summer is right around the corner with Memorial Day weekend fast approaching. Memorial Day is a holiday for honoring those who have served and died for our country. We should take this time to celebrate with family and friends the freedom we have, thanks to that sacrifice of those who have served. If you are looking for a last minute recipe to enjoy with your family this holiday weekend, look no further!
This year we decided to travel to the mid-west where we visited with BlueStar® All-Star Chef Brian Huston in Evanston, IL to find out his Memorial Day favorite. Chef Huston is the owner and chef of the restaurant Boltwood. Boltwood, located in the suburbs of Chicago, is known as “a new-American restaurant with an ever-changing and locally-sourced menu that is both adventurous and approachable”. A proud owner of a BlueStar 48″ Gas Range, we wanted to know what recipe Chef Huston was looking to make for his family this weekend.
“I pick the ingredients for my home recipes the same way I choose my gas stove, with the high standard of quality I expect in my restaurant”. Trying to always source ingredients locally for Boltwood, Chef Huston has always associated Memorial Day with asparagus.
“Living in Chicago for most of my life, I have been blessed (sarcasm) with late seasonal vegetables. While the rest of the country is enjoying asparagus over Easter weekend, we Mid-westerners have to wait until Memorial Day. Nevertheless we celebrate its arrival as one of the first local vegetables available. This recipe is one of my favorite combos.”
Without further ado we would like to share with Chef Huston’s Grilled Asparagus with Bread Crumb Salsa and Soft Boiled Egg.
- 2 pounds asparagus
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Salt & pepper
Bread Crumb Salsa
- 1 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 anchovies, rinsed and chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon capers, rinsed and chopped
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped shallots
- 1 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons Champaign vinegar or white vinegar
- 6 large eggs
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Drop eggs in water and cook for 7 minutes. Remove eggs and place in a bowl of ice water to cool. Once cool, peel the eggs.
- For salsa, preheat your oven to 275 degrees F. Gently knead breadcrumbs with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Spread onto baking sheet. Bake until the crumbs are light brown and crunchy, about 25 minutes. Stir together the anchovies, thyme, capers, shallots, olive oil, vinegar and salt and pepper to taste. Add the breadcrumbs just before serving.
- Break off woody ends of the asparagus and discard. Rinse the asparagus and pat dry. Toss with olive oil and salt and pepper to taste. Over a hot grill fire or in a large cast-iron skillet add the asparagus in batches and sear 1 to 2 minutes on each side, until the asparagus is tender and charred in spots. Transfer to a platter. Top asparagus with salsa. Cut eggs in half. Season the eggs with salt and pepper and garnish the platter with the sliced eggs.
Fortunately with the high BTUs BlueStar® has to offer, this recipe should be a breeze. Have a wonderful Memorial Day from our BlueStar® family to yours. Check out all of our gas ranges and create your dream range at our interactive Build Your Own BlueStar tool.