June 26, 2014:
We spent the day with Michael Symon at his home kitchen in Cleveland, Ohio cooking up some of his favorite recipes from his book: “Michael Symon’s 5-in-5”. Here is an amazing flank steak recipe – perfect for the sweet summer corn coming into season.
Grilled Flank Steak with Corn & Bacon Salad
- 2 pounds flank steak
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 pound thick-cut bacon, diced
- 4 ears sweet corn, kernels cut from the cobs (about 3 cups)
- pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 2 cups loosely packed arugula
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup water
- Preheat a grill or grill pan to medium-high heat
- Season the steak on both sides with salt and pepper. Drizzle with 3 tablespoons of the olive oil, put on the grill, and cover. Cover and cook until nicely charred and the meat releases from the grill, about 3 minutes. Flip and cook until medium-rare, about 2 minutes.
- Meanwhile, put a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil and the bacon and cook until almost crisp, about 2 minutes. Don’t drain off the fat. Add the corn and cook for 2 minutes. Add the red pepper flakes and 1/2 cup water and deglaze the pan, scraping with a wooden spoon to get the browned bits on the bottom of the pan. Stir in the vinegar. Taste and adjust the seasoning, adding salt and black pepper as needed.
- Remove the steak to a cutting board and slice against the grain. Top with the corn and bacon, arugula, and onion and serve.
Reprinted from Michael Symon’s 5 in 5. Copyright © 2013 by Michael Symon. Photographs copyright ©2013 by Jennifer May. Published by Clarkson Potter, a division of Penguin Random House LLC.
Get notified of all BlueStar news. Sign up for our Newsletter!