May 5, 2016:
Mother’s Day is almost here! The BlueStar team is all excited to celebrate with their moms and families this weekend. To get ready, we polled our All Star Chefs for some of their favorite recipes to help celebrate their own moms.
This year, we decided to highlight TV personality, San Francisco chef and restaurateur, and Top Chef alum Ryan Scott. Ryan loves to find ways to honor his mom – on the Today Show, on his radio show and definitely in his upcoming book. Ryan is well known for giving his mom credit for instilling in him a love and passion for food. “Whether it’s at home or in front of a live audience, my mom is still my favorite cooking partner. I make the recipes that she taught me as a kid growing up.”
This Mother’s Day, Ryan plans to celebrate his mom with of course his famous chocolate chip cookies but will start out the meal with a healthy, seasonal bite: Raw Asparagus Crostini with Walnut Ricotta pesto.
Ryan will be whipping this dish up in his San Francisco kitchen, which features a full suite of BlueStar appliances – a custom RNB gas range with yellow knobs plus one of the first-ever, chef-inspired BlueStar refrigerators.
For this crostini, Ryan will rely on his oversized convection oven and will load up a full size sheet pan bread for toasting. Say Ryan “this is the kind of dish that makes me love my BlueStar oven. I can toast enough crostini for a crowd – all in one batch – on a full size pan. This allows me to spend more time with my mom!”.
Ryan will also rely upon the capacity of his fridge – and will also take full advantage of its’ pull out tray that fits a full size sheet pan. “A few hours before the guest of honor arrives, I will prep all the crostini on a full size pan, then pop it right into the fridge. No re-arranging needed” say the Chef.
We hope everyone enjoys this fresh, healthy treat and enjoys a relaxing day honoring all the mothers in their life.
Raw Asparagus Crostini with Walnut Ricotta pesto
Walnut Ricotta Pesto
- ½ Cup Olive oil
- ½ Cup walnuts, toasted
- ¼ Cup parmesan, finely grated
- 2 Cloves garlic
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp Tabasco
- 2 Cup Ricotta Cheese
- kosher salt
- black pepper
- Process oil, walnuts, Parmesan, and garlic in a food processor until finely chopped.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Fold walnut mixture into ricotta.
- Taste, and season once more. Set aside for later.
- 2 lb asparagus
- 1 Cup parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- 3 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp warm water
- ¼ Cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Baguette
- ¼ wedge of Ricotta salata
- Thinly slice asparagus into thin strips. Once all asparagus is shaved, transfer into a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, mix cheese, lemon juice, water, and oil. Add to the asparagus and toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper, set aside.
- Cut slices of baguette for crostinis. Toast bread in oven. Spread walnut ricotta pesto over crostini. Place a handful of shaved asparagus over the top of walnut ricotta pesto.
- Finish with shaved ricotta Salata over crostini. Serve immediately.